Your Tribe Awaits You
You’ve determined the right profession for you and now you want to explore all it has to offer. There is no better way to do this than to attend IFT’s annual event where you will be able to immerse yourself and fully explore, network and learn with a focused sense of purpose. At IFT17 you will be surrounded by over 20,000 individuals, just like you who are totally jazzed about the science of food.
As a future leader of IFT and the food science and technology professions, undergraduate and graduate students of the Institute of Food Technologists Student Association (IFTSA) are an active and integral part of IFT17. This includes opportunities to volunteer, participate in competitions, network with peers across the industry and socialize.
This can’t miss event provides numerous fun and engaging activities sponsored by and for the IFT Student Association. Register now through May 12 to take advantage of our early registration and housing discounts. . Please note, you must register for the event in order to reserve a hotel at the discounted rate. Housing early reservation discount deadlines vary by hotel. Visit the Hotels webpage for details.
Top 10 Tips to Make This a Great Experience
You’re headed to Las Vegas to participate in the premier food science and technology event where you’ll experience the latest developments in food, and begin building your professional network. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
10. Make a List – Before you arrive, decide which companies on the expo floor you want to visit. Heads up: The dress code is business casual (or better), so leave your flip-flops at the hotel.
9. Time Your Entrance – The best time to talk with booth staff is when they’re free and not talking with buyers. Inside scoop: The best time to visit the food expo is between 2:00–4:00 p.m.
8. Be Yourself – You’re your best champion. Introduce yourself confidently with a smile – and let them know you are a student.
7. Have a Purpose – When you choose which booths you’re going to visit, have an identified reason. Be sure to ask thoughtful questions about the company. Listen to what they have to say, and be ready to respond. However…
6. Don’t Overstay Your Welcome – Keep your conversations brief. Don’t tell your research “life history” unless they specifically ask. (And bombarding them with too many questions is a major faux pas.)
5. Manners Matter – Mom was right; good manners always make a great impression. Before helping yourself to literature, samples, or giveaways, ask – but only if you really need them. And, please take only one. Insider note: Doing a grab and dash is not cool.
4. It’s OK to Ask – You’re interested in career opportunities, so it’s OK to ask about the company’s hiring practices and to whom to direct your résumé, but…
3. Avoid the “Spray & Pray” – Randomly picking up business cards and blasting your résumé out to everyone is ineffective and generally a waste of time. Instead…
2. Choose the Right Time & Place – Making new contacts at the food expo is a great start, but the best and most productive place to have job search conversations is at Career Center Live Networking Event.
1. Have a Great Time! – This is your opportunity to meet the people who are using food science every day to innovate and address important global problems like food safety and sufficiency. Take advantage of your time on the show floor!
First-Timers Session for Students
Are you attending the IFT annual event for the first time and would like to learn how to navigate the event? Come join us for the First-Timers Session for Students. Exact date and time to be announced in January 2017.
One of the number one activities past participants have mentioned as their favorite part of the event was the ability to network and socialize with peers from all over the globe. The IFT Student Association provides several opportunities to meet new friends, and network with peers.The following events take place during IFT17. Exact dates and times will be announced in January 2016. Students are encouraged to visit the Student Lounge for further networking opportunities.
IFT16 Division Networking Reception
IFTSA Networking Party
IFTSA Closing Ceremony
Announcement of all competition winners including the final two to three rounds of the College Bowl Competition will take place during the IFTSA Closing Ceremony.
Career Center Live
Get noticed by some of the top companies and job seekers in food science and technology from around the globe. IFT’s Career Center Live combines informal networking opportunities for potential job seekers and hiring companies, as well as formal pre-scheduled interview opportunities for companies with immediate hiring needs.Visit the Career Center Live webpage to learn more.