Learn with Purpose–Get the Insights You Need To Succeed
If you’re passionate about your work and are committed to staying current with the latest research and insights in the field of food science and technology, IFT17 is the definitive event for you.
In today’s competitive workplace, you can’t afford to let a professional development opportunity like IFT17 pass you by. IFT17 is where you can hone your expertise by learning about the latest research and recharge your creativity with inspirational featured session presentations, real-world case studies, peer exchanges and enlightening scientific and ePoster/Poster session presentations.
Scientific and ePoster/Poster Sessions
IFT’s educational and scientific sessions and poster presentations are developed by scientific experts for scientific experts. Each is reviewed and selected by experienced professionals with a deep expertise in each area, ensuring that your educational experience will be second to none. In addition to high quality, our program also provides participants educational breadth and depth with more than 100 sessions and 700+ technical research presentations all divided into major areas of focus to make it easy for you to customize your ideal learning experience.
Our session tracks make it easy for you to identify relevant sessions of interest. Session tracks provided under the Session Details section below. Be sure to also check out our new Online Planner to sort sessions by specific topic, such as emerging trends, new developments, and commodity areas, as well as experience level, and more. New this year is the ability to also search for events in addition to learning session opportunities.
Featured Sessions and New IFTNEXT Programming
In addition to scientific and ePoster/poster presentations, IFT17 also has a great line-up of featured session speakers, panel discussions, new technology demonstrations, trend exhibitions and more!
Dr. Andrew Pelling in his studio.
Featured Sessions—Fuel Your Passion for the Science of Food
IFT17 brings you a great line-up of featured session speakers and panel discussions. Sessions include:
- A Conversation with Dr. Andrew Pelling, scientist, professor, entrepreneur and TED Senior Fellow will provide a talk to unapologetically challenge your curiosity and creativity;
- IFT film screening premiere of FOOD EVOLUTION, narrated by esteemed science communicator Neil deGrasse Tyson, followed by a lively panel discussion with academy award nominee director Scott Hamilton Kennedy, Producer Trace Sheehan and featured film guests Alison Van Eenennaam, Animal Genomics and Biotechnology Cooperative Extension Specialist in the Department of Animal Science at the University of California, Davis and Emma Naluyima, a Smallholder Farmer and Private Veterinarian in Uganda, presenter of the 2014 World Food Prize Norman Borlaug Dialogue Keynote Address
- “Processed Food: The Good, The Bad and The Science,” a lively panel discussion moderated by Tamar Haspel, esteemed food and science journalist for the award-winning Washington Post, and an all-star panel.
New! IFTNEXT Sessions
IFTNEXT— Be Challenged to Think Big and Bold
New this year is IFTNEXT, a series of critical conversations, hot topics, roundtables discussions and debates exploring provocative, forward-thinking topics tackling important and sometimes controversial topics. In addition, IFTNEXT will feature Start-Up Alley where you will be able to talk one-on-one with a leading group of entrepreneurs developing some of the most innovative products and solutions.
Topical tracks help make it easier for you to identify the sessions most relevant to your interests and professional focus.
IFT17 Tracks include:
- Food, Health & Nutrition
- Food Chemistry
- Food Engineering
- Food Microbiology
- Food Processing & Packaging
- Food Safety & Defense
- Product Development & Ingredient Innovations
- Professional Development
- Public Policy, Food Laws & Regulations
- Sensory Science
- Teaching & Learning
Scientific & Applied Sessions
IFT17's scientific and applied sessions—our most comprehensive education offering—attract food professionals for three intensive days of knowledge sharing. Engage with scientific experts from around the globe as they share their insights, experience, and ideas.