Fun, nutrition—and, of course, a generous serving of Disney magic—will come together as student teams compete for a grand prize, first-place prize, and three honorary prizes in the final round of the Disney–IFTSA Product Development Competition at IFT17. Students from five universities will present their proposals and products for judging in Las Vegas.
Now in its ninth year, this annual event invites student teams to create a concept for a nutritious snack developed around a Disney franchise. Here’s a preview of the products the five finalists will be showing off at IFT17.
• The Michigan State University team dreamed up Belle’s Storybook Waffles, which are refrigerated vegetable waffles with a dairy-based whipped spread.
• The Chosen Bun is a microwavable product developed by students at the University of Guelph.
• The Pennsylvania State University team concocted Snow White’s Apple Delights, an apple wafer and fruit leather sandwich product.
• Pride is a frozen snack from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University student team. It features a fruit-and-vegetable puree with a Greek yogurt coating.
• Beary Brave Adventure Packs from the California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo team are shelf-stable mini meals designed to fuel young adventurers on the go. These soft, whole grain/veggie flatbreads are high in protein and vitamin A and come with a berry and beet spread made with no added sugars.
Winners of the Disney–IFTSA Product Development Competition will be announced at the IFTSA Closing Ceremony on Tuesday evening, June 27, in the Venetian Ballroom. The grand prize is $7,500, the first-place prize is $3,500, and the three honorary prizes are $1,000 each. The competition is sponsored by Disney Consumer Products.