Satisfy your cravings by sampling a range of food and beverage product concepts at the IFT17 food expo. Learn more about how the ingredients used in these product concepts help product developers formulate food and beverage products that have the taste, texture, and flavor that consumers want. Here’s a preview of some of what food expo exhibitors will be showcasing.
• Experts from ADM (booth 650) are available to discuss the latest trends in foods and beverages and explain more about how several product concepts address these trends. The samples include a vegan Thai laab chopped salad featuring eight grams of plant-based protein per serving and sweetness from fruit; a blood orange and bourbon nonalcoholic soda featuring natural sweeteners, flavor, and colors; and a vegan Tunisian-style farro salad with roasted cashew and harissa dressing featuring five grams of plant-based protein per serving, heritage grains, and a clean label. Other product concepts include an on-trend coffee lemonade that contains 80 calories per serving and features cold-brew coffee extract and natural flavor; a frappe featuring 10 grams of plant-based protein per serving, six grams of fiber per serving, and natural colors; and a fruit yogurt featuring 14 grams of protein per serving and two grams of added sugars per serving with sweetness from fruit, natural flavor, and natural colors.
• Lycored (booth 1891) is demonstrating the stability of its Tomat-O-Red and Lyc-O-Beta natural color range in beverage product concepts. While enjoying the beverages, watch a time-lapse film showing Lycored’s carotenoid-derived colorings for fruit preparations that do not bleed or fade in yogurt.
• The chefs at Mizkan America (booth 3857) have prepared crab cake benedict, Moroccan chicken skewers, barbacoa tacos, and other product concepts made with the company’s organic vinegars, peppers, and more.
• Try ice pops made with Vegebrite Ice Blue LWS for color and acerola for antioxidant properties and various ice creams colored with plant concentrates or turmeric extract at Naturex (booth 2457). Concepts like these give attendees an idea of the coloring possibilities with naturally derived colors like spirulina and turmeric.
• Ocean’s Balance (booth V217), which makes products from seaweed grown in the Gulf of Maine, is releasing a new kelp purée at the food expo. Try samples of product concepts prepared with the kelp purée.
• Rethink the use of dairy ingredients as the U.S. Dairy Export Council (booth 2270) presents four product concepts that illustrate the functional and nutrition-enhancing properties of dairy proteins and permeate. A Frozen Matcha Dairy Bar is a frozen sandwich with a filling made with Greek yogurt and milk protein isolate flavored with matcha green tea between crispy oat wafers. The dairy ingredients contribute 15 grams of protein to the product concept, which can be eaten as a frozen breakfast item, a high-protein snack, or an on-the-go, high-protein matcha item, according to the council. A Whey Protein Cherry Switchel combines whey protein isolate with switchel, a vinegar-based beverage, leading to a drink that has 11 grams of protein. A Milk and Honey Bedtime Beverage is a chai and honey-infused beverage made with reduced-fat milk, milk protein isolate, and micellar casein concentrate. The creamy drink has 20 grams of dairy protein and half of the U.S. Daily Value for calcium. Finally, try a Reduced-sodium Protein Udon Soup made with whey protein concentrate and whey permeate. The noodles in the soup are enriched with dairy proteins, and the noodles along with the broth contain 11 grams of protein.
Check tomorrow’s edition of IFT17 News for more product concepts.