Your Tribe Awaits You
You’ve determined the right profession for you and now you want to explore all it has to offer. There is no better way to do this than to attend IFT’s annual event where you will be able to immerse yourself and fully explore, network and learn with a focused sense of purpose. At IFT18 you will be surrounded by over 20,000 individuals, just like you who are passionate about the science of food.
As a future leader of IFT and the food science and technology professions, undergraduate and graduate students of the Institute of Food Technologists Student Association (IFTSA) are an active and integral part of IFT18. This includes opportunities to volunteer, participate in competitions, network with peers across the industry, and socialize.
This can’t miss event provides numerous fun and engaging activities sponsored by and for the IFT Student Association. Please note, you must register for the event in order to reserve a hotel at the discounted rate. You must secure your hotel by June 15 to receive discounted hotel rates. Visit the Hotels webpage for details.
Looking for opportunities to support your attendance at IFT18? There are a variety of ways for students to receive financial support. Here are a few:
- IFT18 Global Challenge – Do you have students who are passionate about food innovation, are quick on their feet, and eager to meet other students from around the globe? They should apply to participate in the Global Challenge at IFT18. Applications due March 11.
- Volunteering – Are you an IFT student member looking to get involved in IFT18? We are pleased to offer complimentary registration and hotel nights during the event to those who qualify. Volunteering at IFT18 is a great way to network and learn. Volunteer Applications will be accepted March 15 - April 13.
- Travel Scholarships – Students can receive assistance in paying for their travel to IFT18 by applying for a travel scholarship. Applications open March 1 and are due March 30.
Travel support is also provided for IFTSA Competition Finalists. There are still a few research competitions that are open – don’t miss out!
IFT18 Global Challenge
Are you passionate about food innovation? Do you like to think on your feet? Eager to meet other students from around the globe? Apply today to participate in the Global Challenge at IFT18! IFTSA participants will receive*:
- Complimentary IFT18 Registration
- Complimentary hotel rooms (shared with another participant)
- Travel stipends to assist with travel costs
Applications will be available February 15, 2018 and are due March 11, 2018.
Top 10 Tips for a Great Food Expo Experience
You’re headed to Chicago to participate in the premier food science and technology event where you’ll experience the latest developments in food, and begin building your professional network. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
10. Make a List – Before you arrive, decide which companies on the expo floor you want to visit. Heads up: The dress code is business casual (or better), so leave your flip-flops at the hotel.
9. Time Your Entrance – The best time to talk with booth staff is when they’re free and not talking with buyers. Inside scoop: The best time to visit the food expo is between 2:00–4:00 p.m.
8. Be Yourself – You’re your best champion. Introduce yourself confidently with a smile – and let them know you are a student.
7. Have a Purpose – When you choose which booths you’re going to visit, have an identified reason. Be sure to ask thoughtful questions about the company. Listen to what they have to say, and be ready to respond. However…
6. Don’t Overstay Your Welcome – Keep your conversations brief. Don’t tell your research “life history” unless they specifically ask. (And bombarding them with too many questions is a major faux pas.)
5. Manners Matter – Mom was right; good manners always make a great impression. Before helping yourself to literature, samples, or giveaways, ask – but only if you really need them. And, please take only one. Insider note: Doing a grab and dash is not cool.
4. It’s OK to Ask – You’re interested in career opportunities, so it’s OK to ask about the company’s hiring practices and to whom to direct your résumé, but…
3. Avoid the “Spray & Pray” – Randomly picking up business cards and blasting your résumé out to everyone is ineffective and generally a waste of time. Instead…
2. Choose the Right Time & Place – Making new contacts at the food expo is a great start, but the best and most productive place to have job search conversations is at Career Center Live Networking Event.
1. Have a Great Time! – This is your opportunity to meet the people who are using food science every day to innovate and address important global problems like food safety and sufficiency. Take advantage of your time on the show floor!
First-Timers Session for Students
If you are you attending the IFT annual event for the first time and would like to learn how to navigate the event, plan to join us for the First-Timers Session for Students Sunday, July 15, 2018. More details to come!
Past participants have noted the ability to network and socialize with peers from all over the globe is one of their favorite parts of the event. The IFT Student Association provides several opportunities to meet new friends, and network with peers.
Here is just a sample of the many social events you’ll be able to tap into:
- IFTSA Student Lounge
Students are encouraged to visit the Student Lounge for networking opportunities, as well as an onsite guide for students and OFG swag.
- IFT18 Division Networking Reception
- IFTSA Mixer
- Feeding Tomorrow Student Celebration
- IFTSA Closing Ceremony
- IFTSA Networking Party
And these are just the beginning of all the great opportunities you will have to meet and learn from other science of food peers and professionals.
- IFTSA Student Lounge
Student Schedule at a Glance
IFT18 Student Schedule
Sunday, July 15, 20188:00 AM - 12:00 PMIFTSA Chapter Leaders Workshop12:00 PM - 12:30 PMIFTSA Kitchen Tours3:00 PM - 6:00 PMIFTSA Student Lounge Open3:00 PM - 4:00 PMFirst Timers Session for Students4:00 PM - 5:30 PMIFTSA Global Challenge Kick-off6:00 PM - 7:00 PMAwards Celebration7:00 PM - 8:00 PMWelcome ReceptionMonday, July 16, 20188:00 AM - 6:00 PMIFTSA Student Lounge Open10:30 AM - 1:30 PMThe 28th Annual IFTSA & MARS Product Development Competition - Oral Presentations12:00 PM - 5:00 PMIFT18 Career Center Live1:30 PM - 3:00 PMIFTSA Undergraduate Research Competition3:00 PM - 5:00 PMSmart Snacks for Kids Product Development Competition - Oral PresentationsTuesday, July 17, 20188:00 AM - 5:00 PMIFTSA Student Lounge8:30 AM - 5:30 PMIFT18 Career Center Live9:30 AM - 11:30 AMIFTSA College Bowl Competition - Preliminary Rounds12:30 PM - 3:00 PMIFTSA College Bowl Competition - Rounds 7-121:00 PM - 3:00 PMThe 28th Annual IFTSA & MARS Product Development Competition - Tasting
(Closed)1:30 PM - 5:00 PMSmart Snacks for Kids Product Development Competition - Tasting
(Closed)2:15 PM - 5:00 PMDeveloping Solutions for Developing Countries4:45 PM - 6:15 PMIFT18 Division Networking Reception5:30 PM - 7:00 PMIFTSA Student Celebration7:00 PM - 9:00 PMIFTSA Closing Ceremony10:00 PM - 11:59 PMIFTSA Networking Party @ Fado’s Irish PubWednesday, July 18, 20188:00 AM - 4:00 PMIFTSA Student Lounge8:30 AM - 5:30 PMIFT18 Career Center Live9:00 AM - 12:00 PMIFTSA Board of Directors Meeting12:30 PM - 1:30 PMIFTSA Area Meeting Chair Training12:30 PM - 1:30 PMIFTSA Competition Chair Training
Chapter Leaders Workshop
The Chapter Leaders Workshop is where chapter leaders come together to hear from IFT and IFT Student Association leaders to learn about exciting new leadership techniques. This year the Chapter Leaders Workshop will be held on Sunday, July 15, 2018.
Schedule of Events: Coming Soon
Career Center Live
Get noticed by some of the top companies and job seekers in food science and technology from around the globe. IFT’s Career Center Live combines informal networking opportunities for potential job seekers and hiring companies, as well as formal pre-scheduled interview opportunities for companies with immediate hiring needs.Visit the Career Center Live webpage to learn more.
FCW @ IFT18
Selected students and new professionals can participate in this three-hour Science Communication Fundamentals Workshop at IFT18 in Chicago for a small program fee. Participants will learn how to effectively communicate the science of food to multiple audiences. Participants will learn how to identify a public engagement goal, determine the relevant audience, craft tailored messages to achieve their goal, and rehearse their engagement scenario. This workshop features both facilitator presentations and attendee exercises. Click here for more details.